EGL Genetics Blog

A Mother's Plea - Lobbying For Canavan Disease Research Funding

Posted by Danyella Davis on Feb 1, 2017 3:00:00 PM

Thank you to this month's "My Beautiful CHILD" guest blogger, IIyce Randell, President and Cofounder of Canavan Research Illinois/Canavan Disease Research

On March 6, 1998, my 5-month-old son Max was diagnosed with a fatal and progressive brain disease called Canavan. There are many things we as parents encounter and experience when our children are born with a rare, or in my son’s case, an ultra-rare disease. 

We are often thrown into the role of nurse, physical therapist, and patient advocate before the full weight of the diagnosis even settles in. There's really no way to prepare for these new duties. We must quickly learn on-the-fly because our child’s life might depend on it.

On the day of my son's diagnosis, Max was given one to four years to live. That was the day I decided that I would never give up on my child without a fight. I didn’t know what that fight would entail, but I was determined to do everything humanly possible to save my baby.

Read More

Topics: neurologic conditions, rare disease, ultra rare disease, Canavan disease, research funding

Subscribe to Email Updates

Recent Posts

Posts by Topic

see all