EGL Genetics Blog

Latest Findings in Autism Research

Posted by Eleina Cox on Apr 19, 2017 3:00:00 PM

In 2007, the United Nations designated April 2nd as World Autism Awareness Day. Since 2013, all subcatergories of autism ( i.e. Asperger syndrome and pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified) have been placed 
under an umbrella diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder (ASD). With one in 68 children diagnosed with ASD, autism is a well-known medical condition, and awareness of it has permeated everyday life. In the United States, federal laws such as the Autism CARES Act of 2014, a bipartisan effort signed by President Obama, authorized more funding for research, assistance programs and provided protection for those living with ASD. In pop culture, movies such as Rain Man, have showcased leading characters with autistic features. Two weeks ago, Sesame Street, the American children’s television series, debuted Julia, its first muppet with autism, to the cast. As public awareness continues to grow, the importance of further research to better understand the etiology of autism becomes even more vital.

Read More

Topics: Autism, awareness, Autism Spectrum Disorder, whole genome sequencing, research funding

A Mother's Plea - Lobbying For Canavan Disease Research Funding

Posted by Danyella Davis on Feb 1, 2017 3:00:00 PM

Thank you to this month's "My Beautiful CHILD" guest blogger, IIyce Randell, President and Cofounder of Canavan Research Illinois/Canavan Disease Research

On March 6, 1998, my 5-month-old son Max was diagnosed with a fatal and progressive brain disease called Canavan. There are many things we as parents encounter and experience when our children are born with a rare, or in my son’s case, an ultra-rare disease. 

We are often thrown into the role of nurse, physical therapist, and patient advocate before the full weight of the diagnosis even settles in. There's really no way to prepare for these new duties. We must quickly learn on-the-fly because our child’s life might depend on it.

On the day of my son's diagnosis, Max was given one to four years to live. That was the day I decided that I would never give up on my child without a fight. I didn’t know what that fight would entail, but I was determined to do everything humanly possible to save my baby.

Read More

Topics: neurologic conditions, rare disease, ultra rare disease, Canavan disease, research funding

Subscribe to Email Updates

Posts by Topic

see all